As the temperatures drop and winter weather arrives, you should consider a tune-up to keep things running smoothly. People tend to have problems with their cars over the winter due to the changing weather conditions. It is far better to take care of things now than to wait until you are stranded on the side of the road in a snowstorm. Consider these items that should be inspected and prepared for winter weather.
- Emergency kit. Keep a kit in your car with a blanket, snacks, a flashlight, traction mats, a shovel, ice scrapers, and jumper cables.
- Prevent water in your fuel. Use fuel water remover to prevent damage to fuel injectors.
- Wiper blades. It is crucial to have well-functioning wiper blades in winter weather. Get them replaced if they are in bad shape and consider a heavy-duty option for snow and ice.
- If your brakes haven’t been inspected lately, get them checked to ensure your safety.
- Worn tires can be dangerous at any time of year but especially in the winter. Have them checked out and replaced, if necessary.
- Be sure that your battery life is in a safe range and ensure that your ignition system is in good working order.
- Oil and filter change. If you are due for an oil change, don’t put it off with cold weather on the way. Be sure to use the correct weight for winter.
- Heat and defroster. Be sure to check that your heating system is in proper working condition for winter. This will ensure a warm ride and proper defrosting so that you can see through your windshield in dangerous weather conditions.
The best way to stay safe on the road all winter long is to have a proper tune-up before cold weather arrives. Call the pros at The British Garage at (858) 689-8900 today to make sure you are ready for the winter months ahead.